Schedule of Events
- Sharpen Your Penciis, Polish Your Words
Poets and poetry lovers–now is the time to submit your original poems to the Pikes Peak Poet Laureate Project for the next Poetry While You Wait poetry book
- Submission is free and open to all residents, adults and children, of El Paso and Teller counties.
- This year, poems will be considered in English and foreign languages. If you wish to submit your poems in a foreign language, include your original foreign language poem and its English translation. All forms (free verse, blank verse, etc.) will be considered for publication.
- You may submit up to five poems, 30 lines or shorter, and suitable for public consumption, in the body of one e-mail, not an attachment, to email@example.com . Or mail to: Jim Ciletti, Poet Laureate, 1215 N. Union, Colorado Springs, CO 80909.
Deadline is December 1, 2011. Please include your postal and e-mail address and phone number and a one-line bio with your submission.
- Poetry While You Wait will be published in Spring and distributed to waiting rooms, like your doctor’s or dentist’s office, tire stores, auto repair shops, beauty salons, barber shops, etc.–wherever there is a waiting area.
- Contact Jim Ciletti - 634-2367
Major project past milestones have included:
- January 21, 2008: Public press announcement and formal solicitation of Founding Muse donations. See the Gazette's 1/20/2008 coverage.
- January 21, 2008 to March 31, 2008: Donations from “Founding Muses” accepted.
- January 21, 2008 to February 15, 2008: Nominations opened for anyone to suggest possible candidates for Pikes Peak Poet Laureate.
- January 21, 2008 to February 29, 2008: Applications accepted from candidates for Pikes Peak Poet Laureate.
- March 22, 2008: Poet Laureate selected. See the Gazette's 4/3/08 coverage.
- April 12, 2008: The first Pikes Peak Poet Laureate was inaugurated at East Library.
- Sept 27, 2008 Workshop for secondary educators: Engaging your Students in Poetry. See the "For Educators" tab for more information
- January 1, 2009 to March 1, 2009 Athenaea Poetry Competition, open to all students in grades 9-12. See details here.
- February 28, 2009 Poetry While You Wait submission deadline.
- March 2009 Selection of poems for publication.
- April 7, 2009 6:30-8:30 p.m. Reading from and celebration of Poetry While You Wait. Free and open to the public. Carnegie Room of the Penrose Library, 20 N. Cascade.
- April 9, 2009 noon-1:00 p.m. Reading by Poety While You Wait contributors. Free and open to the public. FAC Modern, 121 S. Tejon.
- April 23, 2009 7:00-9:00 p.m. Open mike reading hosted by Aaron Anstett. Free and open to the public. FAC Modern, 121 S. Tejon.
- March 16, 2011 6:30pm-8:30pm Poet Laureate Jim Ciletti hosted a Robert Frost Poetry Birthday Party, featuring readings of favorite Frost poems.
- March 3, 2012 Nominatiosn for Poet Laureate 2012-2014 closed.